Crave – food & drink
Recipe – Stuffing (includes Vegan option!)
- 1 lb. firm French or Italian bread (including crusts), cut into ½-inch cubes
(I like to use a mix of 6 oz. of French bread, 6 oz. of Italian bread, and 4 oz. of baguette)
- 8 T. butter (Vegan option: 4 T. extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 c. celery, finely chopped
- ½ c. minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 ¼ t. dried sage or 1 ¼ T. minced fresh sage
- 1 ¼ t. dried thyme or 1 ¼ T. minced fresh thyme
- 1 t. salt
- ¾ t. ground black pepper
- ¼ t. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- 1 ½ c. chicken stock (Vegan option: 1 ½ c. vegetable stock)
- 2 large cage-free eggs, beaten (Vegan option: 2 t. ground flaxseed and 2 T. water; mix and let stand for 2 minutes)
Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toast bread cubes until golden brown (approx. 10–12 minutes). Place in large bowl and set aside.
Heat butter in large skillet on medium-high heat until foam subsides. (Vegan option: Heat olive oil on medium heat). Add chopped celery and onion to skillet, cook and stir until tender (approx. 5 minutes).
Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cloves. Add this mixture to the bowl of bread crumbs and toss until well combined.
Add chicken stock and eggs to bowl (Vegan option: Add vegetable stock and flaxseed/water mixture to bowl) until stuffing is lightly moist but not packed together.
Place stuffing into 13” x 9” buttered baking dish. (Vegan option: Use extra virgin olive oil to grease the dish.)
Bake at 350ºF until the top is crusty and the stuffing is heated through. Approx. 25–30 minutes.