Crave – food & drink
Recipe – Baja Fish Tacos
When I can’t find a decent Baja-style fish taco, I make my own. You can, too. Here’s my recipe:
- White sauce: Whisk together ½ cup mayonnaise and ½ cup plain yogurt. Refrigerate until serving. (Or you can use only mayonnaise, which is Baja street-vendor style).
- Cabbage: Chop or shred fresh, raw cabbage.
- Fish: Use 1 pound of a mild white fish (e.g. cod or Alaska pollock). Rinse & pat dry. Slice into strips.
- Batter: Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup water and your favorite herbs & spices.
- Dip fish in batter to coat. Fry fish until golden & crispy. Serve immediately.
- Corn tortillas: Warm before serving. Use one tortilla per taco.
Place a strip of cooked fish on a warm corn tortilla. Drizzle white sauce on the fish. Sprinkle cabbage on top of the fish. Garnish with salsa. Squeeze one slice of lime across the entire taco. Fold taco and enjoy! And if you want to make your fish taco “especial,” place a dollop of Killer Guacamole on it.